Prehabilitation occurs between the time of diagnosis and the beginning of acute treatment (joint replacement, chemotherapy, bone marrow transplant, radiation, tumor removal)
Prehab involves in-depth physical and psychological assessments that establish a baseline functional level, identifies impairments, and provides targeted interventions BEFORE TREATMENT that improve health to reduce impairments.
A TAILORED intervention is designed to help patients be as ready as possible before active treatment begins or surgery is performed.
- Improve physical functioning
- Improve psychological functioning
- Increase treatment options
- Reduce impairments
- Reduce hospital lengths of stay
- Reduce hospital readmissions
- Decrease disability
- Decrease morbidity and mortality
- Decrease health care costs
- Increase treatment compliance